13 Natural Monuments in the territory of the municipality of Gjilan are also taken into legal protection
30.12.2020 - The Municipal Assembly of Gjilan, in the meeting held on 24.12.2020, has approved the decisions for the protection of thirteen new natural zones in the territory of this municipality.
This decision came after the initiative of the Kosovo Institute for Nature Protection. KINP in the realization framework of its program tasks in cooperation with the municipality of Gjilan during 2019, had completed the project of identification of natural heritage in the territory of this municipality. In the framework of this activity, after preliminary field research, some areas with natural values of botanical, hydrological, speleological and landscape character have been selected for protection, which are distinguished by special characteristics.
The Kosovo Institute for Nature Protection had conducted a further study of natural values that have met the criteria for legal protection and had proposed to the municipality to take a decision on their protection.
The new areas taken into legal protection in the territory of the municipality of Gjilan that have been added to the register of protected zones are as following:
- Quercus frainetto in the village of Bresalc;
- Acer monspessulanum in Bunincë;
- `Bungëbuta` trunk (Quercus pubescens) in the village of Bunincë;
- Wild Pear Trunks (Pirus communis) in the village of Bunincë;
- Oak trunk (Quercus petraea) and Quercus (Quercus cerris) in the Danube;
- Quercus cerris in the village of Lipovica;
- Quercus cerris in the village of Llashtica;
- `Shpradhi` tree (Quercus frainetto) in the village Llovcë;
- Lapushink River Valley in the village of Pogragja;
- Source of mineral water in the village of Ponesh;
- The Great Cave in the village of Uglar;
- Water source in the village of Zhegoc;
- `Shpradhi` trunk (Quercus frainetto) in the village of Zhegoc;
With these new areas taken into legal protection, the national register of protected zones reaches 229 nature protected zones.